Finnish Institute of Occupational Health (FIOH)

Finnish Institute of Occupational Health (FIOH) is a multidisciplinary research and specialist organization the mission statement of which is to promote occupational health and safety as part of good living. The strategic goals of the Institute are:

  • Safe and meaningful work
  • Supportive organizations
  • Effective occupational health services
  • Flourishing employees
FIOH is a national governmental institute covering relevant research aspects of work life and conditions of work, including surveillance of working conditions, well-being at work, physical, chemical, biological and physiological exposures, occupational medicine, psychology and stress, epidemiology, safety and organization of work. The main functions of the Institute are research, specialist advisory services, training and communications. The Institute was founded in 1945 by the State Medical Board and social partners from industry and trade unions, insurance institutions and the Ministry of Social Affairs. In 1978 the Institute was nationalized under the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health. The board of directors of the Institute consists of representatives from Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, Ministry of Employment and the Economy, labour Organizations and employer organizations. The Institute receives state subsidies which cover 80% of the costs of the operations approved by Parliament, and is expected to raise funding for the remaining 20% itself.